Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Google Reader Alternatives: Zite


Google Reader is being phased out on July 1, 2013.  This is the first in a series of guest posts about alternatives to Google Reader.  (Read my own post about Feedly here.)  The author of today's entry is an IRL friend of mine (from HIGH SCHOOL, no less!) named Michelle. 

If you would like to submit a post extolling the virtues of your Google reader alternative, drop me an email.

*~*~*~*


Zite, a more up-and-coming RSS reader (think Google Reader meets Flipboard), abandoned the Google Reader backend completely, rebuilding it from scratch in just six hours.  That’s dedication. Being a person who reacts to visual elements, I like the way blogs are laid out on my reader. Deciding what to read just got easier. Of course, this may end with more text-oriented bloggers seeing less traffic; but I have a strong feeling they’ll be able to adapt.  


This Google Reader alternative that intrigues me, as it claims to get “smarter” in the same way Pandora does, based on the content that you browse. You know what that means: If you’re not careful, you could end up with a section of your app filled with cat memes.

Since I work in online marketing, mine has labeled me as ridiculously geeky, and shows me things like this:


You see those little labels below each article blurb? Those are tags, and I can decide to like them (and see similar items in the future), or ignore them. I love that. What a great way to keep discovering new blogs. Show me everything about Instagram, chocolate, and how-to-almost-light-yourself-on-fire-by-attempting-Pinterest-projects please!

I know technology changes, but I’m looking to make a commitment. Switching over all of my preferences from one platform to another every time something new comes out just doesn’t feel practical. Zite is, so far, catering very well to my interest in both new content, and my old favorites. The perfect blend of trendy, and vintage. I’m sure you fashionistas understand me perfectly.

*~*~*

Michelle is a longtime blogger and owner of an internet marketing company in Miami, FL. For more about the author, visit Michelle’s technology blog or personal blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...