Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Two-for-One OOTDs: Mixed Berries

Somewhere in the shopping haze that was Black Friday, I decided that I NEEDED a pair of majorly-on-sale Diane Von Furstenberg silk raspberry-colored trousers.

$102 Here.  (Don't forget to sign up for eBates if you haven't already!)

I bought them. I tried them on. They were heavenly. The color was divine. But I simply could not justify keeping the pants, despite the deal. First and foremost, the size I purchased (10) was WAY too big. Although I could have exchanged the pants, I truly hate the fact that they are dry clean only. I despise paying to dry clean clothes I have already spent money on.

So back they went. And although the cut of these DVF pants was lovely,* I decided to buy some machine-washable berry pants instead.

* I should qualify this, because the boyfriend took one look and scrunched his nose, so perhaps take my opinion with a grain of salt.  They do have a bit of a drop-crotch/embrace-the-FUPA thing going on, but I'm all about that.

In fact, I wound up with not one, but TWO different pairs of berry pants in their place, with each pair costing 1/4 the price of the DVF pants.


ASOS Peg Trousers with Pleat Front (now $20, but only in blue); Ann Taylor Loft Marissa Straight Leg Pants ($35 here, plus take an extra 40% off with HOLIDAY40 code)


Here's how I wore them to work:

This facial expression says:  I continue towards my goal of becoming a fashion model.


In this Outfit:
Ann Taylor Loft Sweater (last year) (M) (similar on sale at J.Crew)
ASOS Peg Trousers with Pleat Front (now $20, but only in blue) (US 8)
Banana Republic Belt (here)
Target Necklace (similar at F21 for $7)
Michael Kors Men's Chronograph Runway Watch in Bronze (here)
Kate Spade Kimmy Wedge (here)
Coach Pave Ball Earrings (similar <$20)
Ann Taylor Gold Stacked Ring Set (here)
Glasses c/o Firmoo (review here) (glasses here)


Someone should start a blog called "Chambray and Pearls."  Maybe I'd read that.  Although I guess lots of people have come up with outfits called the same.


In this Outfit:
Forever 21 Denim Shirt with Lace Cutout (similar)
Random Pearl Necklace from Macy's (similar)
Pearl/Rhinestone Studs (thrifted/gifted) (kind of similar in this set for $7)
J.Crew Pearl Bracelet (similar at Anthro)
Glasses from Firmoo with my new Rx (NOT c/o...updated review pending) (glasses here)
Jessica Simpson Minna Wedge (here) (see yesterday's caution about buying this wedge in black patent)
Ann Taylor Loft Marissa Straight Leg Pants ($35 here, plus take an extra 40% off with code HOLIDAY40)


How do you feel about quality over quantity?  On the one hand, I think DVF's pants were cut wonderfully and the silk felt so lovely.  On the other, the cost of a dry clean only item over its life will only increase, and I was able to buy two similarly-colored, albeit less valuable, pants for half the price of the on-sale designer pants.  At what point do you spring for the designer item and at what point do you go for a less expensive piece?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...