Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Runday: The Essential Running Playlist

Welcome to Sunday Runday!  This is a weekly series of posts relating to running and race training, all leading up to our group race day (see here).

This week's post:  The Essential Running Playlist

In last week's Sunday Runday post about my essential running gear, several folks mentioned in the comments that the most essential element of their running gear was a solid playlist.  I agree---with great music playing in the background, I find that not only do my workouts seem to go by faster, but I also seem to actually run faster in keeping with the songs.

So, let's hear it!

  1. Do you prefer relaxing songs or energy-pumping songs?
  2. If you are a podcast person, which podcasts are your favorites?
  3. What's your strategy for ordering your playlist?

I personally enjoy songs with a good strong beat, and preferably with lyrics I can sing along to while running at a comfortable pace.  Songs with a message of toughness are especially motivating.  It also helps me to vary the tempo of my songs, so I can work in some natural speed + recovery sessions (see here for more on speed play).  I don't regularly listen to podcasts, but I used to subscribe to Dan Savage's "Savage Love" podcast, which was always good for an entertaining (and sometimes educational) half hour or so.

And although I'd love to be the person who has everything ordered perfectly to match the intensity of my run, I tend to just put everything on shuffle!

Here are my current running favorites:


Current Running Playlist by Jewish Girl on Grooveshark

Now, some of these songs I definitely would not cop to listening to in my real life, but while running---what can I say?---Justin Bieber's 13-year old angst just does it for me.


Let's get a communal running playlist going!  Share your favorites in the comments (or, better yet, create a free playlist on Grooveshark and share the link/embed the code!  (See also, NPR's compilation of the Ultimate Running Songs.)

Also, how did your training go this week?  I stuck to my schedule (about to go out for today's 2 miler), although I varied the times of my workouts quite a bit.  For Wednesday cross-training, I combined my half hour of xtraining with my commute to work by biking into the office.  Two birds, meet one stone!  I've been using the gym at the office for my weekday workouts, and found myself heading down in the mid-afternoon or right before dinner (at my desk...sigh).

I've gotta say, I was reluctant to start back up running again, but it feels really good to be getting back on the physical fitness wagon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...