Thursday, January 19, 2012

OOTD: Popping a Cherry

Well, it's gone.  It sure took me long enough, too---I'm nearly 28 and you'd think I'd have had this kind of experience before.

But nope, last week was my first time.


...My first time ordering from ASOS, that is.

I've been eying their wares for a while.  I was impressed with the variety of merchandise and price points and ease of product searchability.  The "view runway" feature was especially intriguing; this option allows you to watch a model walk down a runway in a particular garment.  Oftentimes while shopping, I would like the product images but be turned off by the way the fabric moved.  Despite the fact that I held off on buying these items, I very much appreciated the fact that ASOS let me make the choice.

Of course, free shipping and free returns don't hurt, either.

So, I took the plunge and purchased a few test items.  In the batch?  This shirt.


One of my colleagues is a pro at wearing navy and white in various iterations, and by her example she has shown me the virtue of having a basic, long sleeve navy blouse.  The ASOS option seemed like a nice way fill this void while trying out the website.

On the one hand, I love the blouse.  It seemed to drape nicely throughout the day, although I'm not 100% pleased with the way it photographed.

On the other hand---confirming my fear about some of the cheaper ASOS merchandise---my shirt ripped in BOTH elbows by the end of its first day of wear!


WAH!

To ASOS's credit, I emailed them about the issue on Tuesday, and within 1 hour I'd received an apology from customer service and a shipping notification for a replacement.  Excellent resolution!  Of course, if the blouse rips again I'll be requesting a refund, so I'll keep you posted.

Fingers crossed that I just got a defective item, but I fear perhaps the quality of this particular piece is lacking.  You'll see another one of my ASOS purchases within the next week or so, and that one has at least remained in one piece through repeated wearings.

I guess that's part of the reason I love shopping at "overpriced" stores like Anthropologie and J.Crew.  The prices are very reasonable if you wait until sale, and these stores seem to churn out more high-quality clothes than the average chain store.  The pieces I buy from Anthro, on average, hold up better over time than cheaper clothes from the likes of ASOS, Forever 21, H&M, etc.  Durability is less of an issue for quickly-passing trends, but when I buy something classic, I want it to last.

The higher-priced stores are often shorthand for quality in my mind.  Perhaps this isn't always accurate, but it's worked out this way more often than not.

How do you feel about "fast fashion" stores like H&M, Forever 21, and (some parts of) ASOS?  I often feel so overwhelmed by crapola when I walk into the physical stores, but their websites are much more appealing.  I can't tell if it's because of the easy search features or because everything looks a little more glamorous online.

These shoes cost $11!  Except for the fact that I also bought two other pairs of $11 shoes along with these that were non-refundable and totally didn't work out.  But whatever!

In this outfit:
ASOS Angel Eye Blouse with Contrast Collar ($36 here) (not sure I can recommend this, as it ripped after a day of wear.  ASOS customer service was excellent about replacing it, though)
Victoria's Secret under tank (similar)
Anthropologie Cuffed Tweed Crops (6) (similar here)
Kate Spade "It Takes All Sorts" Necklace
J.Crew Factory Cluster Earrings (here)
Bracelet from H&M, circa 2008
ASOS hand holding pearl ring ($3.50 here) (and looks exactly that cheap in person)
Watch by Appetime (gifted)
Sam & Libby Elliance Pumps via 6pm.com ($11 on 11/11!  Now $25 in black, $55 in brown, or $40 in pewter)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...