Saturday, January 21, 2012

OOTD: Blurry Lines


I had lunch with one of my work mentors this week (hi, W!), and she said something insightful about the work-life balance.  She pointed out that there's always more work that can be done---more depositions to read, more slides to create---so you have to decide how much of your life you're willing to give to the job.  If you want to give every spare moment, you could find the work.  So if you don't, you need to figure out how to draw those lines while still being the best you can be at your job.

I'm still figuring out where those lines lie.  There's less than a month left until our trial begins, and work has been RIDICULOUS.  We had Monday off for Martin Luther King day, but it was somewhat of a meaningless holiday since I still had to work at 12-hour day to get my work done.  Of course, I took full days off on Saturday and Sunday, so it felt like a fair trade.

In some ways, this struggle is also depicted in my clothes.  It's becoming a lot harder for me to wear "casual" clothes on the weekend.  I'm starting to feel strange in jeans and a T-shirt.  Where's the blazer?  Where's the pencil skirt?


I suppose I don't need to answer these questions with definites.  Perhaps I can use certain aspects of my life as a barometer.  Do my friends stop calling because they assume I'm at work?  Has it been more than three weeks since I've put on a pair of jeans?

That could work for now.

And there's always this everlasting "Teen Mom 2" marathon on MTV to help me feel like I'm making good life choices.


In this Outfit:
J.Crew Factory Perfect Shirt in Flannel (here)
ASOS Vero Modo Super Stretch Skinny Jeans in Tomato Red (29, TTS) (here)
Payless Women's Chelsea Glitter Flat (here)
Kate Spade "It Takes All Sorts" necklace
J.Crew Factory Cluster earrings ($10 here)
Chunky bracelet from H&M via 2007
Fossil Watch (similar)
Anthro Spotted Satchel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...