Wednesday, December 21, 2011

OOTD: The Party Dress That Wasn't


Before falling in love with this Kate Spade dress (worn here), I'd initially planned to wear my Eva Franco Belted Violet Dakota Dot Dress (aka Anthro's Mullany Dress) to my office holiday party.  I figured that being ousted from a place of honor on my body at a special event merited a consolation prize, so I wore this dress to work earlier that week.


I'm still unsure of how to make full-skirted pieces work appropriate.  Something about the puffy silhouette made me feel like a little girl all day; I looked down at my feet and saw my five year-old legs on their way to temple, wearing a puffy-skirted dress, white sweater tights, and shiny black mary janes.


I thought this black cardigan---which is generally magical in fixing outfits that are otherwise borderline---might slim things down when belted at the waist, but I think instead it emphasized the dress's poofiness because of its below-the-hip-length.

The waist is working for me, but the hips seem too poofy.

I would love your thoughts on wearing full skirts do the office.  Do you do it?  If so, what do you wear on your top half?

Are there some silhouettes you can *never* make work during the business day?


In this Outfit:
Eva Franco Belted Violet Dakota Dot Dress (8, but my normal 6 probably would have worked)
Anthro Shadowsleeve Cardigan (M)
Payless Women's Chelsea Flat in Gold Glitter (9, TTS) ($17 here)
ALDO Multi-Strand Necklace (circa December 2010)
J.Crew Factory Earrings

PS:  How about that extra 50% off Anthro sale stuff??  THEY ARE KILLING ME!  Fortunately, Anthro did not begrudge me my price adjustments from the last two weeks (there were many), and my refunds paid for my new goodies.  I'm most excited about my PA on the Bold Strokes Satchel (for $65, I'll definitely keep it) and finally grabbing the gorgeous Split Pea trousers for less than $50!  (Note:  I went up to an 8 in these, but I think if I were at my normal weight the 6 might have been okay.  If you generally track me in sizing but have not put on a few December pounds, then maybe you can stick with your normal size with these.  It's a close call.)  Perhaps I will post more details later in the week...I could use your advice on the Bloomsbury Blazer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...