Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Everybody Everywear: Attention Magnet

BEHOLD.

Still available in sizes small and medium here (but back up to full price)!  I sized down from my normal medium to a small for a slimmer fit.


Yes, that's right.  It's a gold sequined bolero.  No need to adjust your monitors.  This is indeed one of the most unadulterated displays of shine available on the open market.  I nabbed it this past weekend during Anthropologie's 50% off full-priced outerwear/jackets/sweaters promotion. 

I've been wistfully staring at this item since seeing it in one of Anthro's pre-assembled outfits last month, but the $138 pricetag was troubling.  The problem with sequins, of course, is that you just can't get a whole lot of wear out of them beyond the month of December.  Sure, maybe it can come out to play a bit in late February or March, but then it's pretty much retired until mid-November.  But at 50% off, I was willing to bite.


And of course, like the good Jewish girl that I am, I'm going to wear it pretty much every day this month to get my money's worth.  You think I'm joking.  But immediately after buying it, I proceeded to wear it three days in a row:

Saturday Sweedish Santa Lucia Party:

In this outfit:  Anthropologie Starshine Bolero (S -- down a size), AG Farrah Skinny Jeans (29) (here), J.Crew Silk Pocket Tank (4), J.Crew Factory Patent Tortoise Flats (9.5 -- up .5 size) (here), Coach heart earrings, Geneva Crawford Boyfriend Rose Gold Watch ($20 here), Anthropologie Party Animal Necklace (similar: anthro hedgehog/cat, etsy tiger, etsy panda), Murano Glass Hairclip from Venice (see detail shot at bottom).


Sunday Shopping Day:

In this outfit:  Anthropologie Starshine Bolero (S -- down a size), AG Farrah Skinny Jeans (29) (here), J.Crew Silk Pocket Tank (4), Anthropologie Berry Stitched Boots (9), Coach heart earrings, Geneva Crawford Boyfriend Rose Gold Watch ($20 here), Anthropologie Party Animal Necklace (similar: anthro hedgehog/cat, etsy tiger, etsy panda).


Monday Cocktail Party:

In this outfit:  Anthropologie Starshine Bolero (S -- down a size), Kate Spade Dotted Magdalena Dress (4, down a size) (here), Anthropologie Bookbinder Heels (by Schuler and Sons) (8.5 -- down .5 size, but too snug in the toe box and will need stretching), Coach heart earrings, Geneva Crawford Boyfriend Rose Gold Watch ($20 here), Anthropologie Party Animal Necklace (similar: anthro hedgehog/cat, etsy tiger, etsy panda).

I loved that this bolero seemed to easily dress up or down, despite the general association between sequins and fanciness.

However, the absolute best part of this whole sequin-y shebang is the fact that this jacket carries a substantial gravitational pull that seems to draw people in from all corners of the room to strike up conversation.  As Roxy said, it's an attention magnet.

Regardless of the setting in which I found myself this weekend, something about this sequined bolero made people want to talk to me.  It's like I was carrying a sign that said "PARTY OVER HERE."  Or "FREE MONEY OVER HERE."  Or something else that everyone wants to get in on.  Sometimes that was useful, as on Saturday when I found myself mingling with new people in a crowded party...and sometimes it was hilarious, as on Sunday when Roxy and I found ourselves parrying the advances of two 60 year-old men at Rolf's (my NYC holiday favorite) who tried to convince us that they had a key to Grammercy Park and that their violet shakras had just been cleansed. (Edit: Subsequent googling has revealed that they really did have a key to Grammercy Park! This changes nothing, but is still a relevant fact.)

So basically, what I'm saying is that sequins in general are, and this bolero in specific is, magic. That is all.

Sequins + Sparkles | Everybody, Everywear

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...