Monday, September 19, 2011

All Grown Up, All Knocked Out

Today, ladies and gentlemen, today is my first official day of being a real, productive member of this economy!

Sure, I've had jobs before, but today I am starting my career.  I decided I wanted to be an attorney when I was in third grade.  I participated in my first mock trial in fourth grade at a "Take Your Daughter to Work Day" event.  I prosecuted Goldilocks for breaking and entering, and after I finished my closing statement one of the attorneys in my dad's corporation came up to me to tell me that I would make a great lawyer.  I told him I knew that.

It took me nineteen years of education to get here (twenty if you include the master's degree).  I don't know what law firm life will hold for me, but I know that I'm ready to get started.

Here's what I wore on my last day of zero responsibility:


True story-based explanation of this pose:  I wore this outfit to a Chinese buffet on Saturday (yep, totally wore it twice in a row) (yep, totally rocked a Chinese Buffet like the value-seeking Jewish girl that I am) and a guy came up to me while I was contemplating the General Tso's chicken, squeezed my arm as he passed by me, and told me, "You're an absolute knockout, you know that?"

I still don't know what to make of that, except that I was pretty sure I shouldn't approach the buffet after that without utilizing the buddy system.
In this Outfit:
Anthropologie Thatched Palm Blazer (6)
Anthropologie Wreathen Blouse (S, but I would say this runs a size small)
Joe's Best Friend Jeans (27)
Lucky Andria Boots (8.5---size down a half size) (here in black)
Earrings via Ideeli
Necklace via Garage Sale

I made the most of my last day of freedom in this outfit:  I visited THREE Anthropologies in THREE different states!  As it turns out, my hotel is only a block away from one of the NYC Anthropologies, so I found myself wandering over there tonight before dinner just to stroll through the store and touch some pretty things.  Throughout the day, I scored a few fun items on the cheap:

Three Anthros, Three States

1.  Sunrise Shirtdress: $20.  This is an ABSURDLY full-skirted dress, but the black color slims it down a bit.  It's a unique shape for my closet, and I'm pretty sure I'll get $20 of use out of it.

2.  Harmonious Pairings Chemise:  $20 (this is going to be worn as a nightgown, not a dress)

3.  Dotty Shorts, $7.50 (button missing, so I got a 15% damage discount):  I was unconvinced about the virtue of the Dotty Shorts over the summer, but I figured I would give them another shot given their insanely low price.  The size label was torn off, but I think they are a size four, which fit me better than my usual size six.

I felt a little bit silly hanging up my clothes once I arrived at my hotel; I've got five days of work and potentially two weekend days in NYC, but I still overpacked:


I'm still working out my "in the office" style, so I brought a lot to experiment with.  My workplace is business casual, thankfully, so I have a bit of room to be creative with my clothing choices.

Of course, creativity with my clothing is utterly secondary to the quality of my work.  Here's hoping I knock 'em dead at the office!  ...In the good way!

Happy Monday to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...