Monday, July 25, 2011

Use it or Lose it OOTD: Fantastic Field Skirt



Please, enlighten me:  how is is possible for a skirt to be so gorgeous and yet so neglected?  What, pray tell, is wrong with me exactly?

This skirt went on sale at Anthropologie back in late April or early May.  It didn't particularly jump out at me online, but once I saw one in a store I knew it had to be mine.  The colors are exceptionally vivid and the pencil skirt style is quite flattering.  Not only that, but it's a relatively breezy cotton fabric that allows for easy breathing in the summer heat.

And yet I have only worn this skirt once in three months, and not in a particularly memorable way, either.  I think I paired it with a solid top.  

The fact that I don't want to ride a bike in this skirt has prevented some degree of wear.  But I suppose its biggest challenge is that the vivid colors and patterns make it difficult to wear anything but a solid top with it.  

Now, don't get me wrong,  I don't have anything against rational style rules, but I think it may be a fate worse than death to limit this skirt to a life of stifling monogamy with boring, albeit multi-colored, tops.  (Please don't tell BF I said that.)  There's nothing wrong with wearing a solid shirt once in a while, but I wanted to find a way to mix patterns with it, and I was determined not to wear this skirt with a solid top twice in a row.



I really like the way this turned out.  It feels cohesive to me because both halves use the same dominant colors and shapes, and are divided by a thick belt.  Even more, it's fun!  Wooohooo, look at my whimsy!

Is that just my bar-exam addled brain talking, or do you catch my drift?  Do you like to pattern mix or do you keep things classic?  I'm curious to hear your thoughts, since I would certainly agree that the Anthro aesthetic sometimes takes pattern mixing too far (SNL mocked Anthro in this skit, courtesy of JessPGH and Roxy's Twitter feeds.  Note:  if you watch the first minute you'll get the drift.  This is by no means a classic skit.).

PS:  I'm a little bit obsessed with this tanktop (available in more colors on J.Crew's factory website, open on weekends).  I may have already bought it in another color last weekend.  Erm.  One big negative:  the zipper track kind of pops out on the side if you tuck it in.

So, Use it or Lose it?  Use it, most definitely.  This skirt is far too beautiful to part with, even if it spends its life in a committed relationship with all of the solid colored shirts in my wardrobe.  Regardless, it's still nice to know it can take a walk on the wild side.

In this Outfit:
J.Crew Factory Printed Silk Pocket Tank (2, but a 4 also fits, so I'll say TTS-ish) (here in patterns, or here in solids)
Anthro Fantastic Fields Skirt (8)
Anthro Looping Lanes Belt (L, but need a M)
ALDO Shoes (40) (note:  I may have sworn off this brand forever due to consistent sizing/quality/comfort issues, but I will continue to wear the shoes of theirs I currently own)
Anthro Pave Posts (here)
Anthro Bassotto Necklace
Kate Spade Crystal Confection Ring
Kate Spade Head-in-the-Sand Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...