Friday, June 3, 2011

Hasta Luego...

Farewell, New York!

As of today, the lease is up on my law school apartment and I'm heading down to Washington, D.C. to officially begin my post-grad life.  I am spending most of the summer studying for the bar exam (it's at the end of July) and then will be traveling through most of August and the first part of September.  I start my law firm job in mid-September.  I look forward to telling you more about my new neighborhood, new apartment, and new goings-on!

DC-themed mini golf at H Street Country Club.

Me and BF at a Washington Nats Game

Big life changes like this move excite me.  I love the feeling of directing my own destiny.  As much comfort as I draw from established routines, making moves---geographic, social, psychological, professional, whatever---comes with a feeling of power and self-efficacy that is second to none.

I am so thrilled to be living in one of my favorite neighborhoods in D.C., to be living by myself (for the first time in my adult life!), and to be DONE with bi-monthly commutes on the Chinatown bus to see my long-distance boyfriend.  I am ready to spend the summer learning the black letter law I'll need for the bar exam and the prospect of starting my CAREER in a few months---instead of just taking another odd job---makes my heart beat faster.  I love my firm and my office and I look forward to working.


In my second year of law school, I bought this "Keep Calm and Carry On" decal for my locker, which was located in a relatively high-traffic area.  The kid  whose locker was next to mine, a first-year student, had his red decal custom-made in response:


Even with this sense of happiness, I will certainly miss New York City.  Although I'll be back often for work and for play, I'll miss 24-hour establishments, the parks, the four Anthros within easy distance*, and the security of knowing that if ANYTHING cool is happening ANYWHERE in the WORLD, eventually it will make its way to New York.

* Fortunately, there are two Anthros and an accessories boutique in D.C., and then two more stores in driving distance in Virginia.

Nathan's July 4th Hot Dog Eating Competition on Coney Island.

Part of the reason I decided to go to law school in New York was so that I could check NYC off my "list" and take any job I wanted post-grad, without feeling bound to a job in NYC just so I could experience living here once in my life.  Now that I've spent three years here, I realize that I'll never really be able to take New York City off my list of places I want to live.  This city will always be one of my favorite cities to live, and I know that this isn't goodbye.

Ice skating in Rockefeller Center.

View from the terrace of my Law Review building.

A performance at Brandy's Piano Bar.

Until we meet again, fair city.  Until we meet again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...