Monday, May 30, 2011

Outfit Triage Resuscitated: Yellow Skirt at Night...

Way back in February, I assaulted hundreds of eyes when I went outside dressed like this:


In this Trainwreck:
Shirt: (via Marshall's)
Skirt: Circle the Globe Skirt (Anthro) (4)
Tights: (Anthro)
Booties: Bright Horizons Booties (Everybody for Anthro) (40)
Belt: High Prairie Belt (Anthro)
Headband: Budding Hues Headband (Anthro)
Earrings: Jellybean Bow Earrings (Anthro)
Necklace: Gifted/Thrifted
Watch: Fossil
Bracelet: Blakely Bling Bracelet (J.Crew)
Clutch: Coach

What could I possibly do with this bright, highlighter-yellow skirt in the dead of winter?  I was utterly and completely stumped, and you all chimed in with a mixture of winterizing suggestions and outfits that looked forward to warmer months.

One of the things I love most about this Outfit Triage Feature is that it prompts me to try on combinations I would NEVER have thought of on my own.  One of the things I hate most about this feature is that it takes FOREVER to take the photos and by the time I'm done my room looks like my closet barfed all over it after a night of heavy drinking.

All this to say, it took a long time for me to finally take these photos.  I'm so glad I did, though, because I'm already noticing how much easier it is to wear this skirt in the spring/summer (in fact, you'll see an OOTD with it very soon)...not only did your suggestions give me some great ideas for the coming months, but your winterized looks miraculously worked (dare I say, you made it look easy).

Looks like I'll be getting my money's worth out of this $7.50 skirt after all!

Tons of your looks after the jump...

First, Izabella suggested pairing with a neutral top and neutral shoe.  She suggested shortening the necklace and keeping the other accessories the same:

(Top: Anthro; Shoes: Oscar by Oscar de la Renta, thrifted)


Next, Stef recommended relegating this skirt to bare legs weather, and letting it become the focal point of the outfit.  She proposed two looks:  one involving a white shirt, bold scarf, and skinny belt in a complimentary color; the second involving a boldly colored top and a dangly earring.  Of course, since this is summer we're dressing for, Stef also suggested neutral sandals and some sunnies:

Look 1
(Top: Anthro Bespoke Yoke Tee; J.Crew Flip Flops; Modcloth Scarf, Franco Sarto via T.J. Maxx sunglasses, J.Crew Skinny belt)

Look 2
(Top: Banana Republic, thrifted; Flip flops: J.Crew; Sunglasses: Franco Sarto via T.J. Maxx)


Next, Missy thought that a neutral top and conservative accessories would be the way to go.  She suggested winterizing the dress with a black top, and either black tights/boots or nude tights/boots.  Pair with a matching belt and a chunky gold necklace, and voila:

(Top: J.Crew; Shoes: Steve Madden via 6pm.com; Belt: Anthro; Necklace: Anthropologie Coalescing Necklace)


Missy also suggested pairing a black top with nude legs/shoes.  I just realized in this moment that brown is not the same as nude, but this is all I have for you!

(Top: J.Crew; Shoes: Lucky Brand Andria boothere; Belt: Anthro; Necklace: Anthropologie Coalescing Necklace)


Lisa suggested a few looks, including a black/white striped top, and a neutral top with brown boots:

(Top: Gap; Pumps: Target here)

(Top: Anthro; Boots: Lucky Brand Andriahere)


Debra posted three fabulous polyvore sets for me (see here, here, and here).  I did by best to honor them!

 With a gray-ish top, cream belt, and nude shoe.
(Top: Anthro; Pumps: Thrifted)

 Striped shirt, untucked.
(Top: Gap; Pumps: Target here)

 For summer: blue and white striped tank with neutral accessories.
(Top: Anthro; Necklace: Thrifted; Shoes: Anthro Open Spaces Wedges)


Chantilly recommended simplifying the outfit a bit by keeping things the same from waist down, but choosing a solid-colored top, minimal jewelry, and a daintier pair of shoes.

(Top: Anthro Third Position Bodysuit; Shoes: Lavandula Heels; Necklace: Anthro Secret Key Necklace)


For some reason, I absolutely brain-farted while attempting to execute Anne's suggestion.  It took me about four different photos to get all the elements in there---I would take a shot, then go back to my room to check the next comment only to realize I forgot the shoes/necklace/headband/cardigan and would have to start over.  At least I got it eventually!

PS: Notice how my hair gets more and more out of control as the post goes on?  It's all that shirt-changing!
(Top: Banana Republic; Cardigan: J.Crew Jackie Cardiganhere; Shoes: Anthro Rensellaer T-Straps)


Sara also noted that this may not be a "4 season skirt," but that a structured dark jacket paired with a striped top and boots might be more subtle:

(Top: Gap; Jacket: years and years old; Boots: Lucky Brand Andria Boot, here)


Amy K. shares my problem with highlighter yellow shirts, but suggested a simple pairing on top with a deep purple shirt and gray cardigan, along with an unembellished brown leather belt and tall brown boots.  I followed her suggestion to simplify the jewelry to a simple drop pendant necklace.  I wish the cardi wasn't so sheer, but ya gotta work with what you have:

(Top, Cardigan, and Belt: J.Crew; Boots: Lucky Brand Andria Boot, here)


While transitioning from Amy's outfit to Kristen's outfit, I noticed that my original ensemble might not have been such a horrible mistake...just toning down the legs and jewelry seemed to make a huge difference:

(Boots: Lucky Brand Andria Boot, here)


Kristen proposed a simplification: cover up the embellished shoulders of the shirt with a cardigan and switch out the ivory tights for navy:

(Cardigan: J.Crew Jackie Cardigan, here; Tights: Hue)


Jen suggested a cool cross between summer and winter, bringing in a floral printed skirt with a neutral belt, grey cardi, and boots for warmth:

(SBC Dress worn as Shirt: Thrifted; J.Crew Cardigan and Belt, Lucky Brand Andria Boot, here)


Lori was also generous enough to create two polyvores for me (here and here) that will be great for spring and summer:

(Hat, top, and necklace: Anthro; Jacket: who knows; shoes: Nine West via 6pm.com)

This is an incredibly loose interpretation of Lori's second polyvore, but it was the best I could do!
(Cardigan: J.C. Penny; Necklace, belt and Shirt: Anthropologie; Shoes: Target Taree Oxford, here)


I've gotta admit, I was skeptical that Katie's suggestion would work.  Katie's coworker wears this skirt with bright solids like raspberry and emerald.  I attempted wearing BOTH at the same time, and was amazed at the result:

(Thatch Palm Blazer: Anthro; Airy Weave Pullover: Anthro, here; Lucky Brand Andria Boot, here)

Among the outfits I like best, I'm having a hard time picking out a unifying thread.  Some of them are simple, with just a top and unobtrusive shoes, but others incorporate belts, colors, or layers to jazz things up.  What do YOU think?  Can you pull out a few "guidelines" for wearing (and/or winterizing) this skirt, or do you think this is the type of piece that needs to be played by ear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...