Monday, March 28, 2011

OOTD: I fought the law

(Remember---tomorrow is the last day to submit your photo for our next installment of Inspiring Interpretations!)

I have a very cool internship this semester that involves two days of "field work" at the office.  I absolutely love the work, but I deeply struggle with one aspect of it:  the required business attire.  I fight the business suit with every fiber of my being.  I feel quite lucky that the law firm I'm starting at in the fall doesn't require suits every day; almost all of my Anthro purchases will work in that context!

I think I most dislike the lack of creative options afforded by business attire; there somehow seem to be fewer permutations of outfits and fewer ways to be creative.  Perhaps I just don't own nice enough business attire to feel good about my options in that department, but regardless, I avoid wearing suits when I can.  

On internship days when I don't expect to be in court or in a meeting, I dress down a bit and pair a blazer with professional-looking dresses or separates.  I was particularly happy with the colors in this outfit:


I'm not sure if you can really tell in the picture, but the dress has sort of a blueish-violet tint to it.  I tried to bring that out with the sheer purple tights and then added yellow for a pop of contrasting color.  Something about it just worked for me...and I am completely enamored with my new J.Crew "spicy mustard" painted denim belt (purchased before leaving for Israel, here, on sale in stores for $25, $30 online here).  It's not quite the same yellow as appears in either my necklace or my shoes (themselves slightly different shades), but ever since spotting this delicious photo I have been unafraid to combine citrus tones.








In this Outfit:
Dress (Ann Taylor)
Place de la Concorde Tights (Anthro)
Seychelles Password Pumps
Necklace (Thrifted)
Painted Denim Belt (J.Crew)
Frog and Pearl Posts (Anthro)
Fossil Watch
Enamel Legacy Stripe Ring (Coach)

PS: If you live in NYC, there's going to be an interesting installment this afternoon in Washington Square Park.  From 1pm to 4pm, a few artists will be running an interactive display that simulates the experience of living in Sderot, the Israeli town I blogged about here.  You'll experience what it's like to run for a bomb shelter with fifteen seconds warning.  I'm thinking about going, but am frankly a little intimidated by the prospect of actually living something like that, even in a simulation.  Here's the information in case you're free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...