Sunday, March 13, 2011

Fitting Room Reviews: Emerald City

I have recently discovered my undying love for the color emerald green, and so I was thrilled to see so many emerald offerings in Anthro's spring line!  Is there a single person on whom emerald green is not flattering?  I challenge you to provide photographic proof, because I suspect it cannot be done.

Perennial Blooms Shift ($248 here)




This piece by Anna Sui reminded me of the Pom Flower Shift in its weight and texture.  This is a heavy dress; perhaps too heavy for the dog days of summer.  I found the cut to be a bit more flattering than the Pom Flower, which left me feeling like I was wearing a sack (and when I sized down, I experienced that dreaded armpit pinching).  

I tried on my normal size six and it felt a bit roomy.  I didn't try on a four, but I would give that size a whirl before committing to this dress.  Still, at $250, I wouldn't even start to consider this until second cut.  On the plus side, the pattern is absolutely adorable!  The Man Repeller might be proud of the placement of the grass, as it may fall into the category of #TTLLV.


Wisteria Halter Dress ($148 here)




Guys, I was SO READY to love this!  The colors!  The flowers!  SO CUTE.  Unfortch...it was just a little baggy and shapeless.

I have once again forgotten what size I took in this.  I'm going to need to come up with some kind of system for recording the sizes.  I think I tried on a four, and as you can see it's still a bit big.  This seems consistent with the online reviews, which suggested sizing down TWO sizes.

Perhaps it's just because this dress was big, but I felt kind of bulky and shapeless in it.  I also disliked the cut on the back.

This one is a pass for me.  (Although by "pass" I really mean that I'd try it on again if it got a second cut)


Falling Petals Blouse ($68 here)




I think this is an older item, but MAN, I totally fell in love with this!!  It's so cute and flowy!  This top also comes in a beige color (with green-tinted petals) but the Ivory version has the benefit of having petals that look like adorable strawberries.
It's definitely flowy and kind of shapeless, but every gal needs a top with this kind of cut in her wardrobe for those casual days, I think.

Now that I'm looking at the pictures they don't look all that flattering, but I really loved this top in person.  I'd pick it up once it hits sale.

I'm wearing my normal size small in these pictures.  It's definitely big, but I think it's supposed to look that way.  The XS fit me too (although with not a lot of room around the arms), but it had less of the flowy look that I like:


As a result, I'd say this runs TTS!


The Gathering Tank ($48 here)



This tank (really, I would call this a "tee".  There are sleeves, no?  Small ones, but still?) has been around for a while, but this emerald green colorway is a new release.  I'm not sure if it's online yet, but it appears not.

Not much to say here except that I loved it.  Will get this instantly when it goes on sale.  I sized up to a medium here and liked the fit a lot.


Ascending Roses Top (on sale for $30 here)


Oooh, I was so excited for this top to go on sale, but in person it just didn't do anything for me.  I really don't like the spot where the roses cut off; it's basically mid-boob and I think it makes your cleavage look weird.

I'm wearing my normal size small here.  It is a bit clingy, but the medium was too baggy:


Pass.


OOTD: Pre-Israel evening! 


So, um, I may have visited the Philly Anthro the night before leaving for Israel.  And um, I may have bought something.  But this is what I wore.

In this Outfit:
Shadowsleeve Cardigan (Anthro) (M)
Blouse (Banana Republic)
Joe's Best Friend Jeans (Anthro) (28)
Bryce Canyon Lace Ups (Anthro) (9)
Belt (Forever 21)
Zodiac Heirloom Necklace
Blakely Bling Bracelet (J.Crew)
Watch (Fossil)


Unknown Jacket, Daughters of Liberation ($88)




OMIGOD I LOVE THIS.  I mean, it's emerald, so it's a given that it's going to be flattering (see above). But this blazer is just SO comfortable and perfectly stretchy and breathable and reasonably priced and ooooooh loooovvvveeee.  I might have bought this full price if Anthro had my normal size six.  Then again, I didn't ask them to find me my proper size (as I did for the item I eventually bought), so perhaps I knew that I didn't want to pay full price for it.

I'm wearing a size eight in these pictures and it's just slightly big.  I think a size six would have been perfect.  I do fear the leprechaun effect a bit, but it's just so pretty and ahhhh, that colorrrrr...

I will stalk this like a pro and buy it when it goes on sale, if I don't cave sooner.


In an Instant Dress ($98 here)

(Size 6)

(Size Four)

This one has been on my wishlist for a while.  It's just a simple ensemble piece that would be nice for hot summer days.  It's machine washable.  My normal size six was too big but the four fit me nicely.

Wishlisted for sale.


Drawing Parallels Skirt ($68 here)


I couldn't resist this.  I'm sorry.  It's emerald and it's so cute and it's going to be a total workhorse because it honestly goes with EVERYTHING, and I will wear it a TON between now and when it goes on sale.  My dad pitched in for part of it to account for a gift he gave me that I didn't need and gave to my sister, so I was able to justify my impatience with the fact that I paid a little less than what this will cost when it hits sale.

I didn't take any flattering pictures of the actual skirt, I think because I figured it was a given that I would buy it soon.  It doesn't look that great in this picture unfortunately, but in person it's just adorable.  And it's that same rich emerald green that I seem unable to turn away from.  I tried it on in three stores and deliberated for almost a week, so, ya know, I'm kind of responsible.

My normal size small fit me well.  The medium also fit (elastic waist) but felt too bulky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...