Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fitting Room Reviews Galore

I gotta tell ya, I don't feel like writing very lengthy reviews today, so I'm just gonna hit the high points and call it a day!

Behind the jump, reviews of the Wind Smocked Henley, Blooming Goldenrod Dress (again), Hanging Gardens Top, Pinned Through Shirt, Tuileries Dress by Moulinette Soeurs, Gunilla Dress, Mystery Bracelet, Seaside Fields Dress (Green Motif), Pulling it Together Sweater, and the Sweet Offerings Chemise.



Wind Smocked Henley (Yellow Motif), $48 here


 

This struck me as a great basic tee.  The fit was flattering on me and the shirt felt comfortable with no awkward pulling or bunching.  This tee looks like it would wear equally nicely untucked or tucked with both skirts and pants.  Versatility, friends.  I took my normal size small.  I also tried on a medium, which fit fine but was a bit baggier than need be.  I'd say this runs TTS.

Since I can't see spending $50 for a simple tee (really, $50 for ANY shirt would be the exception rather than the rule for me), I will definitely snatch this up when it hits sale.


Blooming Goldenrod Dress, $138 here


 

Yes, I know I reviewed this already, but here are some shots of the size eight.  As predicted, I feel more comfortable in this one; less tight around the waist!  However, I didn't particularly like the looseness around the neckline in this bigger size.  It's definitely not the perfect fit/cut, but I'm willing to live with a little top looseness given how pretty and versatile I think the dress is otherwise.

Gawd, I love this dress.  It makes me so happy that people seem to be blase about it in the online reviews; I'm actually loathe to review it right now for fear of inspiring some size eight ladies to buy it before sale time.


Hanging Gardens Top, $78 here

 

 

I'm wearing my normal size small in these pictures.  The fabric was soft and I liked the floral detail on the back of the shirt.  It's meant to be drapey; either you're going to like this or you're not.  I'm wearing my normal size small here.  I may have been able to size down to an XS, but regardless of what size I took it was still going to look baggy.

This is not at the top of my list, but I could see myself buying it on first or second cut and then whining about whether or not I should keep it.


Pinned Through Shirt, $98 here


Reviewer fail: I can't remember whether I took a size four or a size six in this shirt.  I'm pretty sure this was a size four, but don't quote me.  Either way, I LOVED THIS.  Remember how I mentioned earlier that I would rarely spend $50 on a shirt?  Well, this would be a shirt that may be worth $50 come sale time.  I don't know if I'd want to risk waiting for a second cut on this one, especially since I can see myself getting my money's worth out of it over the spring and summer.

This is just a standard silk blouse, so whether you love it or not will come down to what you think of the color and pattern.  I found it very flattering and I think it will go with everything, so this shirt is quite high on my wishlist at the moment.


Tuileries Dress by Moulinette Soeurs, $148 (here)
(Thanks for the identification/pricing help, Lisa, Molly, and Tien)


 

The whimsical pattern of this dress caught my eye and I couldn't resist trying it on.  My normal size six fit comfortably.  This dress reminded me a bit of the Sugar and Cream dress...perhaps because both are whimsically patterned silk frocks with a black tie at the waist.  I haven't tried on the Sugar and Cream so I can't tell you how the fit compares.

I think this dress is cute, and it will be perfect in the spring and summer, but I'm just not crazy enough over the print to get this any sooner than a second cut, which may not even happen.  Regardless, if you like the pattern then I'd recommend starting with your true dress size.


Gunilla Dress, sold out online but available in stores for $70 (second cut price) (read reviews here)

 



Roxy's review of this dress inspired me to try it on, and I gotta say, I LOVED it.  The photos online truly don't do it justice; the cut is very flattering and the colors seem like they'd be universally flattering.  The material is delightfully silky and the buttons along the back are pretty (although a pain to button up yourself).  I tried on a size eight because the store was out of sixes.  The eight fit fine and I think I'd be happy with it, although I'd be curious to see if the six was more flattering.  I definitely felt as though there was a bit of room in the eight.

The only reason this didn't come home with me immediately was this:


Tragically, this dress was just a bit too tight around my arms and I experienced the dreaded bulging armpit.  I'm not sure if this was a unique problem; none of the online reviews mentioned it so it may be a quirk of my own body.  Maybe if I'd sized down to my normal size, the arm holes wouldn't have any extra space with which to catch my skin?


Mystery Bracelet

'
I don't know what this is, but it's $48 and I want to buy it when it goes on sale.  That's elastic that's keeping the pieces together.  They're all separate, like long simple bobby pins (with two segments that are covered in sparkles).  It fit my wrist with seemingly no gaps or pinching.  Yes please!


Seaside Fields Dress, Green Motif, $70 in stores


Just some pictures.  I've talked about this dress in the blue motif here and here.  I liked this one a lot too, but just didn't want to spend the money on two colors.  If this gets a second cut, I will be on it like white on rice.

I'm wearing a size 8 in these pictures (I think.  Gah).


Pulling it Together Sweater, yellow colorway, $68 here



I'd been looking forward to trying this sweater on, but the fit in my normal size medium was a bit closer than I would have preferred.  I think this may be the style, since the proportions were great and my only complaint is that it's not a very loose-fitting sweater.

That said, the color is delicious and it's cropped but not TOO cropped.  There was no button gaping and the flaps at the neckline didn't feel bulgy.  Once this hits sale, it will be hard to resist at $40.  I haven't decided whether I'm even going to try.  Perhaps I will just sit in front of my closet and stare at my THREE OTHER YELLOW CARDIGANS and try to convince myself that this one is different.  (That's what they all say.)


Sweet Offerings Chemise, $78 here



I liked this chemise, but $78 for something that's technically a nightgown is stark raving looney toons.  That said, I would maybe splurge on this once it gets a first cut to $40.  I am quite picky about the whole sleepwear-as-daywear thing and very few chemises meet my high bar, but I could see myself wearing this outdoors and not feeling self conscious.  The knotted details on the bodice are flattering and I love me a nice sweetheart neckline.

Here's a close-up of the detailing on the fabric:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...