Wednesday, January 26, 2011

OOTD: Seasonally Inappropriate

On Monday night, I stumbled upon Amy K.'s fabulous blog feature for the week --- "Breaking the Rules" --- and I've since been hooked. Amy's concept involves breaking one fashion rule each day for the week. I didn't participate the first day (mixing patterns), but I'm committed to sticking around at least through Thursday (I don't think I can rock the "tights and sandals" look in general, let alone with snowfall outside my door). You should join in the fun! Tomorrow is "one color from head to toe."

I like having a "prompt" for getting dressed in the morning. It reminds me of creative writing assignments from high school language arts, the kind that gave you a first sentence ("I haven't seen my mother in 15 years") or a word ("warmth") and required you to write for fifteen minutes without stopping, just to see where you end up. With writing --- as with dressing, it seems --- you often end up somewhere you didn't expect.

For me, that "somewhere" was "the playground in Morningside Park" and "in the middle of a soft, thick snowfall." Today's rule to break was "no spring colors and/or prints in winter." Here's where I ended up:


I do think this would have looked better with a longer, chunkier cardigan as a few of you suggested here, but I was shooting for color with this outfit and the green fit the bill. Length-wise, I don't particularly like where it cuts off with this dress.




Dress: See by Chloe (thrifted, here)
Cardigan: August Silk (pre-weight loss) (PL)

Belt: Punch Card Belt (Anthro) (M) (similar here for $10, here for $7) (check out these other blatant Anthro knockoffs: Charlotte Russe Knockoff ($9.50) and Forever 21 Knockoff ($6.80) of Anthro's Ring-Cinched Belt ($48); Charlotte Russe Knockoff ($5.50) of Anthro's Soft Bow Belt ($30?); Forever 21 Knockoff ($6.80) of Anthro's Synapse Belt ($48) (spotted by Kim of Anthroholic and reported by Look For Less); Forever 21 Knockoff ($5.50, brown) of Anthro's Snakebite Belt ($30?))

Tights: Hue Opaque Footless Tights (Anthro) (I've had these tights for almost a year but have always felt ridiculous every time I tried to wear them. I liked them with this outfit, though...and they were super warm!)
Earrings: (Anthro?)
Boots: Andria Boot (Lucky Brand, here)
Necklace: JCrew? (thrifted) (see it on Emma Pillsbury, in pink, here)
Watch: Fossil (second-hand) (similar here)

This is all you get. At this point, I was starting to lose my fine motor control in the fingertips and figured it was time to call it a day.

Frostbite is a small price to pay for better lighting.

PS: Still time to enter my giveaway!

PPS: Thanks for your advice on this. I decided to buy them, and I'm gonna return them if they're not amazing in The Good Way or if I can't figure out a few ways to wear them on non-Halloween.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...