Sunday, January 2, 2011

OOTD: Rainy Sunday

I got back from Atlantic City last night, just in time to meet my little sister for brunch as she passed through NYC. I love Sundays in the city; there's a relaxation in the air that makes you feel as though the only thing you need to do is to amble around aimlessly until it gets dark.

We ate at The Sunburnt Calf on the Upper West Side. They have an all-you-can-drink brunch special for $18; I'm fighting some kind of illness so I did not partake, but my sister had a few mimosas. I wasn't crazy about the spot. I like that the staff all have Australian accents (Real or fake? Couldn't tell you, and I don't care because the accents are sexy), and the food was fine, but the restaurant is so busy that "all you can drink" really means "all you can drink while you still have your food and before we need your table, which will be about 45 minutes to an hour." I don't have a problem with that in theory, but I'm spoiled by my neighborhood brunch spot, Sip, which offers an all-you-can-drink, delicious three course prix fixe brunch for $25 and will never ask you to clear your table until you're ready.

One awesome moment at the Calf: you get shots while waiting for a table and as a "parting gift" while getting your check. It's some kind of lemony-sweet thing (not very strong, but definitely alcoholic) served in a little plastic shot glass. There was a party sitting next to us with two very young children, one about three years old and the other maybe two. When the waiter brought the farewell shots for the table, he also brought two shots of orange juice for the kids. The tykes innocently sipped their OJ shots without understanding why all of the other patrons were suddenly pointing at their table and chuckling uncomfortably.

My sister and I spent the rest of the afternoon walking around the neighborhood, taking a break for cupcakes and groceries. We stumbled upon a treasure trove of goodies in the Goodwill thrift store across the street from our brunch spot, but that's a post for another day.

Here's what I wore:


Shirt: Button Parade Blouse (Anthro)
Skirt: by Odille (Anthro)
Ring: Coach
Necklace: Express
Belt: Anthro
Earrings: Gift from a friend in middle school!
Boots: Steve Madden (it was wet outside, so I nixed my plans to wear the Slinking Frills heels.)
Tights: Anthro

Also, I managed to buy two different pairs of shoes online today:

SARBER by ALDO, on sale for $28 in size 40 only, here (ALDO shoes run small)

Password Pump by Seychelles, on sale for $53 here

I almost bought three more shoes after the ALDO ones, and even drafted a "HOLD ME BACK!" blog post, but then the skies parted, angels sung, and I understood that I was meant to get only the Password Pumps, so I went for it. For the curious, the shoes I passed on are here (yellow, $90) and here (blue, $54). Anthro is selling this shoe as the "Sweeping Stitch Heel" in black and teal for $118.

7 comments:

Mich said...

I'm not planning to go back to NYC anytime soon (it's so overwhelming!), but if I do, I'm definitely going to check out Sip. "Brunch" and "all you can drink" are two of my favorite phrases.

I've had issues with 6pm as well, but Endless is great. I love both pairs of shoes you got and can't wait to see pictures of them. Let me know if the Password Pumps are comfortable, because I need some cute black heels.

Jewish Girl said...

Haha, NYC can definitely be a bit much. Before I moved here, I always felt lonely and lost whenever I visited. I spent some time here as part of my job in 2007 (when I was working in DC) and once I got to know the subway system I felt a lot more comfortable. Now I love the city! I will definitely be sad to leave.

Sip is fantastic, though - I highly recommend it if you're in the area! The "billionaire bacon" is fabulous, and the place feels very neighborhoody.

6pm's prices are so darn tempting, but it's outrageous that they make you package and ship your own stuff. Give us a freaking return label, for pete's sake! I've resolved only to buy shoes on 6pm from brands I trust (Seychelles would count).

I'll let you know about the pumps. I'm hunting around for a good pair of mustard pumps and I hope these do the trick!

cookbookarchaeology said...

Welcome back! I'm SO hitting anthro tomorrow...

Kathleen said...

I love those Seychelles blue and yellow shoes, too, and I've been stalking them. They also look cute in gray.

Jewish Girl said...

Cookbook: Thanks! I'm actually going back to DC in a few days, but if I'm feeling healthier I will totally join you at Anthro tomorrow. I have a few returns to make...

Kathleen: The design is just so cute! I am generally kind of wary of suede, but I'm sure I'll eventually cave and buy them.

Mai said...

Oh I got the "Sweeping Stitch Heels" in Navy from endless the other day and they're my current favorite! I'm in love with them! :-)
Maybe if they go to another sale, you might get them.

Jewish Girl said...

How do they fit? Would you recommend them? They are just soooo pretty. The navy shoes are on sale in my size for $54 on 6pm.com, but their return policy is so bad that I'm reluctant to buy them.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...