Saturday, April 24, 2010

CORE-n bread


This recipe has been floating around the Weight Watchers universe for ages. It uses entirely filling foods as ingredients, so it’s “free” on the Simply Filling program (subject to your ability to eat it to satisfaction...if you find yourself overeating this, then it’s NOT a filling food for you).

I was skeptical at first, but dayum, this stuff is delightful. I cooked it in a cast iron pan and it came out fluffy but still quite thick and dense, and the top cooked crisp.

In the future, I will try this recipe with variations. I think it would be great with a can of corn kernels, and I might experiment with adding jalepenos and paprika. I also suspect (dangerously so) that this might be great as a cake if you added crushed pineapple. If I have any success with these experiments, I’ll post them.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup Cream of Wheat, uncooked
  • 1 cup ff sour cream
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup splenda (optional. I left this out because I HATE granulated splenda. the bread could have benefited from a little sweetness, but I would take the unsweetened bread over the chemical taste of granulated splenda any day)
  • 2 tsp olive oil

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup ff milk.

Instructions:


Mix all of the ingredients and bake at 400 for 35 minutes.

I got 8 servings out of this, but if you’re willing to have smaller pieces then you could easily get 10 or 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...