Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Why do we repeat the cycles?


I post a lot on the Weight Watchers Message Boards. I think the forums are extremely helpful, and are a great source of information and support. Occasional snarkiness, yes. But helpful overall. I do my best to add to the positive energy of the boards.

Despite my intentions, there are some posts that really drive me freaking bonkers. I don’t even click into threads that contain any variation of “I only lost ___ pounds this week :-( “ I can’t handle it when people ask if they REALLY HAVE TO eat all their daily points/healthy oils/dairy servings etc. I just lose patience.

If I could pick one thing that I wish I could rail against when I see it on the boards, it would be when I read a post like this:

[story about my day, discussion of my food issues, emotional eating, etc.]

Then I took the kids to Pizza Hut for dinner because Sally got a gold star in class today and she deserved an extra-special reward.

How I wish I could respond:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WHERE DO YOU THINK THESE FOOD ISSUES START?!?! You are struggling with an unhealthy relationship with food; one that has caused you to gain weight, to eat fattening, processed foods, to eat when you are not hungry, to treat fattening food as a reward or a comfort mechanism...you have spent years and countless dollars on weight loss attempting to untangle these complicated relationships and develop a new relationship with food (and an awareness of the emotions that are driving you to eat)...

...and you’re telling me that you are TEACHING YOUR CHILDREN that fast food is a reward for achievements??!!?! Isn’t that what you are trying to erase in your own subconsciousness?!!?!

I’m not saying you can never take the kids to Pizza Hut, but it should be as a DINNER. “We’re going to pizza hut to eat dinner. It’s unhealthy and we can’t eat like this all the time, but we can eat it and enjoy it sometimes.” If you want to reward the kids for doing well in school, spend TIME with them. Pick an ACTIVITY.

I simply don’t understand how a person could lack self-awareness to this degree.


What I actually say:
. . . nice weather we’re having?

*~*~*~*

I dunno, I guess I’m venting a bit, but am I totally off the mark here? What are your thoughts? Does my rant just create a different set of food issues? Is there no way to avoid any of this?

How does anyone ever grow up with a normal attitude about food, then?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...