Monday, November 2, 2009

Fakely-Real Peanut Butter!!!


I stumbled across this stuff in my grocery store the other day, and I had to try it. I am truly quite unclear on what this product is. It’s called “Better’n Peanut Butter,” but for all intents and purposes it IS peanut butter. Peanuts are the first ingredient (although it’s followed by a parenthetical indicating that the peanuts are “as defatted peanut flour, peanut butter and natural peanut oils”). It smells like very peanutty peanut butter, with perhaps a slight unidentifiable twinge of something different. It has the consistency of peanut butter, if not slightly thinner.

Here’s the key thing, though: it tastes just as good---and maybe better---than normal peanut butter, and it’s 3 points less per serving. That’s right...two tablespoons of peanut butter will cost you 5 points, but you can have two tbsps of this stuff for 2.

I really don’t understand why this is happening to me, but the stuff is GOOD. It definitely tastes like something has been slightly adulterated (there is a sweet aftertaste (perhaps attributable to the tapioca syrup, rice syrup, or cane juice)), and it needs to be refrigerated after opening (so SOMETHING is going on), but this stuff is definitely worth it. I’d all but written peanut butter off (PB cookies notwithstanding...there are chickpeas in those!) but I’m thrilled I can eat it again without sacrificing crazy points.

EDIT (1/7/10): Discovered an unfortunate implication of the “needs refrigeration” thing when I packed this stuff with some apple slices. Without refrigeration, it nearly liquified and started to smell highly chemical, like a laboratory. This sounds bad, but honestly I think I prefer the taste of this stuff to PB2 (which I have since tried, but not reviewed). You just can’t leave it out, or plan to eat half an hour from the moment you pack it. Umm, yeah. I guess it’s not that dire, but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...